Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Some Quick Birthday Thoughts

I'm one year into the 2nd half century of my life (assuming medical technology continues to accelerate at a rocket pace and I get a full century.) So far the ride's been pretty good.

I was born in Middle Class America to great parents which gave me advantages that most babies born into this world are never afforded. Water flowed out of our taps. Food was always in the cupboard. I was given a world-class education.

Life expectancy in the US is 79 years. In many other underdeveloped countries in Africa I am at or above their life expectancy number. Every single day people younger than me are dying of starvation and easily treated illnesses. It's very sad but I get to do something about it - we sponsor Priscilla, an 11 year old girl in Uganda. A small amount of money each month makes a huge difference in her life and the life of her family. I pray the Amoa's all live well past the 59 years expected in that country.

I married the right woman. I can't tell you how important this has been to me. Like everyone we've had our ups and downs, but we work through the tough times together and never forget that we love each other very much. She and I have been together over half our lives and I pray that we will be together until the end.

No marriage is a fairy tale. Ward and June Cleaver existed only on television. Marriage is hard work. It takes a lot of sacrifice and grace, That is especially true of Kelli in our case. "Saint Kelli" has shown me a LOT of grace over the past 27 years. Like I said, I married the right woman.

I have great kids. They study hard, stay out of trouble, and have picked good friends. After all the grief I gave my parents in the early 80's I'm glad karma didn't bite me in the butt on this one. I've coached them in sports & get to share the floor with them as a basketball official. We've traveled together to some pretty cool places. Between my parents, Kelli & our boys, and our extended family I've hit the family lottery. There's not a bad apple in the bunch.

I have great friends. I'm an extrovert - I like meeting people & getting to know them. I've been blessed by many close friendships and lots of great times.

I have a great job. Included in my friend list are my co-workers. I work for good bosses. I'm doing work that makes a difference and challenges me everyday. I get to develop young talent and help them launch their careers.

I'm healthy. At my age you always have aches & pains, but other than being a little overweight and sore knees I'm blessed. I've seen too many friends & family fight cancer. Many have won the battle. Some have lost. Other than a few weeks of bells palsy back in the mid 90's I have had no health scares.

I'm happy. Your happiness is dependent on you. The little stuff used to effect me a lot more than it does now. I'd rather be happy than sweating the little stuff. Happiness is a choice. Bad days are few and far between. Even when I'm having a bad day (or more)  I'm encouraged by my friend Jeff 's words - "It's a great day in God's world - be sure to see the good." Even when things are bad there is good all around you. Choose to be happy and find the good.

Happy. Healthy. Friends. Family.

Life is good. It's going to be a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment