Monday, July 6, 2015

Off the Beaten Trail

Rick and I went on a ride yesterday - Wabash BBQ in Excelsior Springs from Lees Summit via the scenic route. I've ridden most of the roads south of the river, but have only been on the county roads north of the river once.

Our first decision was to take O north into Lexington from FF rather than D. 224 is flooded and rather than ride 24 from D we decided to take FF to the county road north into Lexington. I've never been past D on FF and one nice surprise was this place. I suspect I'll be taking Kelli out there sometime soon.

Once we crossed the river I jumped off at J which I thought was the exit we took on my first ride on these roads. Wrong - it was an exit early. No worries - just ride. J ends at the Lexington Airport so we turned right at CC which was very narrow and full of blind curves due to the corn.

2 miles later we ran out of blacktop. While we watched the farm implement go by on the gravel we made the decision to press forward. I have very little experience riding on the gravel and then was as good a time as any to practice.

We headed north for about a mile and came across a left hand turn - I could see a building and some campers which meant civilization so we took the left. Well, the gravel didn't end just there but we came across a cool little campground on a lake I had no idea existed. If we would have had suits with us we could have jumped off the bikes for a little swim.

Both the B&B and Campground were well off the beaten path and looked like awesome places to spend a night or two.

A bonus was riding County Road O again north from 210 to Wood Heights, MO. If you're in KC and own a motorcycle and haven't ridden this road yet do yourself a favor and put it on your list. It's a beautiful stretch of road with plenty of curves and hills.

The Interstate Highway system has all but taken away the adventure of a road trip. In the future, if time allows, I'm going to take the scenic route.

"You're never lost when you're on a motorcycle." -Rick Floyd

No comments:

Post a Comment